Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Week's Reflections

As of today at 10:00 (4am GA time), I have been in Spain forone week, but it feels much longer because I have done so many cool things in this short time.This week has provided me with a wonderful introduction to the city, though it has also left me with many stops to re-visit. Today was no exception. This morning we explored El Rastro - a very large open air market running through the streets between La Latina and Lavapies. The couple of hours spent in the market proved to be too few - there are literally thousands of tents to look at on the main streets as well antique shops, used bookshops and used clothing shops with tables set up on many of the side streets. Additionally, shortly after we arrived at 10 it became super crowded (as Isabel warned us it would). I did make some successful purchases today (including the genie pants envied all around town) but a least one return visit will be necessary :)

Now, I'd like to take this time to reflect briefly and share some tidbits I've taken in during my first week here in Spain. It has taken a little adjusting to a life of more walking and less air conditioning but I'm pulling through. One thing that has required less adjusting than I expected is the Spanish meal schedule. The small breakfast (around 8am) of coffee and cereal/toast is practically what I eat back home in the states so I don't feel hungry at all waiting until around 2-3 for the bigger lunch meal. Then in the afternoon I have plenty of time to take a siesta, go out, see sites or exercise because dinner isn't served until around 9-10. I was worried I'd be hungry all day but I've found that I actually snack less and am hungry when meals come around but satisfied when I'm done. All in all, I like it. Also, I like the social element still present in Spanish meals. According to many of the Madridlenos I've spoken to, most meals are eaten in the home and are very social events. It is common for meals to last over and hour, serving as a time to respect the time taken to prepare the food by giving time back in conversation. Even in my house, with a younger, less traditional senora I've seen this exemplified. Elena and I eat most lunches and dinners together (whenever we are both home) and even if she isn't eating she will sit and talk with me while I do. When I'm walking home from the metro near suppertime, the combination of the smells and sounds of cooking and the happy chatter of families float out of the open windows though the streets of my barrio. It just feels so peaceful as I walk home through the pleasant night air to my casa.

On an unrelated, lighter note, I learned something that reminded me that though the world is shrinking - differences still exist in the world. This week that in Spain they do not have any cinnamon flavored products (mints, gum, etc)! Isabel lamented this fact to us at dinner the other night and it totally took me aback. I guess I realize that I've been taking cinnamon Altoids and Big Red for granted all my life when Madridlenos live here and lack them. Isabel says she loves cinnamon and stocks up on these products when in the US. I suppose it is the same kind of feeling I had for products European like Nutella and Kinder candy before they became available in the states ... but it's strange that something as commonplace as cinnamon could be prized. Additionally - they don't have Nyquil here (a travesty) and Isabel says she brings bottles home by the suitcase full when she visits ... for which she is very justified as anyone who has every had a cold soothed by Nyquil will have to agree.

My mind is now too full with thoughts about upcoming classes and travels to remember if there are any other reflections I wanted to mention here. I should be writing these things down ... oh well, I suppose you'll have to settle for now. I'll be back later to tell you about my first day of school - ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment