Saturday, September 11, 2010

From Puerta to Plaza

I did not arise from bed on Friday until 11:30 in the morning - but this lazy morning was justified since I did not crawl under the covers until 5 am. I awoke rested and ready for a shower. After lunch I set out to check out some more shops in Sol and then to meet John - to see Inception (which I still haven't seen). However, we arrived a little late at the theatre and the movie had already started. So instead, we decided to take an exploratory walk. We took the metro down south to the Puerta de Toledo (Door to Toledo). This arch points in the direction of Toledo - the city that was Spain's capital before Madrid. I we didn't know anything else to see in this part of town so we set out on a walk north toward the center of town. This walk was invaluable in learning the layout of the city. We walked through the part of town where El Rastro was on Sunday and we proceeded until we reached the Plaza Mayor (the big, historic square in Spain). We reached the Plaza at about 7:30. The weather was lovely and the atmosphere lively with street performers and artists set up to sell their wares. We decided to sit at one of the many tables on the plaza for tapas. We enjoyed red wine and calamari while watching a flamenco dancer stop to the strumming of a classical guitar. One word - tranquility.

While in the Plaza, Elena had called me to make sure I was coming home for dinner (I hadn't seen her that morning thanks to my sleeping in) and she mentioned something about friends. When I got home I realized that she had said friends were coming over for dinner :)
Two couples and their three small children were outside at the table in the garden where I joined them upon arriving home. The two women work with Elena and they were all so nice. The children were adorable! And the conversation was great. I had to concentrate but I understood most everything. They told me that lots local festivals happen in Usera and the nearby neighborhoods in September - including a Medieval one I think! They asked me about the States and how I like Spain. Altogether, it was such a fun night and it really felt truly Spanish - these are the kind of experiences I was hoping for! Plus, Elena says that she like to have friends over for dinner every couple of weeks or so - I am sooooo excited :D

Well, Saturday is the Noche en Blanco - The White Night - when many cultural things stay open late and buildings are illuminated all over the city. I am so excited to do it - and I'll come back soon to tell you all about it!

PS. I posted 2 other entries today ... so scroll down if you missed them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment