Friday, September 17, 2010

Mis clases (& drag queens)

Ok, alright. I know it's been a while since I've written ... but I'm here now to tell you about all I've been up to. Happy? :)


So, when last we met her, Suzanne had just returned home after a wild and crazy night of festivities in Spain's Noche en Blanco. As out scene opens Suzanne is still in bed late into Sunday morning, regaining strength from a night out ... Yup, Sunday I took the liberty of letting myself sleep in extra long without even setting an alarm and rose at the delightful hour of 1:00pm. Sunday I did some work and caught up on things in the house. I concluded the day by attending mass. It's about a 3 minute walk to the Catholic church/school at the end of my street and up the hill. The service was simple and small but I understood most of the service and I liked the priest.


Then this week, I've been pretty busy with classes. I had tarea (homework) for the first time this semester and it feels like I'm finally in school again ... but I do like the classes (as I think I've said) so I'm not complaining. In my lit class we are reading Amadis de Gaula ... a medieval tale of a knight who goes crazy, then goes on adventures and battles giants on his way back to his princess. This story is particularly interesting because it is the base story for another very famous piece of Spanish literature called ... can you guess?? That's right (presumably you said) Don Quijote! My other classes are going well also and I am finally having to buckle down and do a little studying and such - hence the less frequent blogging :)


Other developments occupying my time this week included travel plans! Our group met this week and booked flights and hostels in Barcelona for the weekend of September 23-26! I am so excited to visit Spain's second city (or even first according to some)! Also looking into other trips - and looking to book earlier to save money. Will keep you updated :)


This was a busy week with classes really kicking it into gear. However, since no one has Friday classes, we kicked of the weekend Thursday night with a little fun :)Thursday afternoon, John and I returned to the Prado museum during its free visiting hours (6-8) for another stroll among the masterpieces. This time, our focus was allowed to be a little wider than just the Spanish artists Isabel had shown us - we saw some Rembrandt, Raphael, Bruegel ... and of course more Velazquez and Goya. It was a nice (free) visit and I now feel like I've briefly seem most of the museum (though return visits with my art class will be wonderful!)


After the Prado, I the group met in Sol to celebrate Lauren's 20th birthday. (Lauren is one of the girls from Marist). This occasion took us to GulaGula - a delightful dinner & drag show combo on Gran Via. And what a show it was! First, dinner. Our waiters were dressed in various tight, tiny shorts accompanied by vests or ties. Our table had two waiters because of the size of our party. One wore heels with his shorts and chain mail vest. The other was very tastefully

dressed in black slacks, a white blouse, prim high heels and wig - drag very well done. In fact, he was dressed so convincingly as a woman, that some girls at our table were thoroughly surprised when they first heard

him speak halfway through the meal and they realized that he'd been a guy the whole time. The show was a blast! Our MC, in his tiny, blue sequined dress was a great stand up comic and a decent singer too. Other acts included dancing and lip syncing to songs. A random gentleman in the crowd was even treated to a lap dance - for

which he was a very good sport. The highlight of the evening however was the striptease parody set to the tune of "Sweet Transvestite" from Rockey Horror Picture Show. In this number the performer emerged in black suite and bowler hat and the proceeded to stripped down a little. Then, our corseted companion grabbed a member of the audience (our own Christine) to dance with. He really sold the number with fantastic facial expressions and amazing energy. (I'll post a little vid from the beginning of his number in this entry if I can). The number concluded tastefully with his return to the stage for a final removal, a well placed top hat and a blackout - to resounding applause. I will say that this was a very fun show. The energy was great, the drag was impressive, and it was a little naughty without being vulgar. Comedy and fun rang in the tone of the show and it was a delight!


Friday morning marked my first Art class excursion - to the Palacio Real (one of the Royal Palaces in Spain). The Royal family does not live in this palace, though they do still use it for some special occasions, so the building is largely open to tours. Needless to say, it was
impressive. Every room, a display of wealth from floor to ceiling. Our class went with the particular objective of viewing the Baroque and Rococo ornamentation of the Chinese room and the Yellow room. However, we took the entire tour (over a hour long though we only toured the tiniest fraction of the palace) and it was all very beautiful. Still, not on the top of my "places to live." Overall, it was pretty but a little over-done, and I would definitely get lost its maze of massive rooms. After our tour of the palace, Marie and I ventured to the Cathedral directly next to the palace. Mass had just begun so the Cathedral was not open for touring ... I made note of the mass schedule and we proceeded to the small (relatively speaking) Cripta Illuminada. This chapel/crypt was beautiful. It was filled almost entirely with Corinthian columns and Neo-Romantic arches. There was little space left in the forest of columns save that in which were nestled pews and alter. The columns were not overbearing though, as they were all illuminated from lights at their base. This light filled the entire space with a heavenly glow. Additional, the brightly painted frescos on the walls and the ornate stained glass brought color onto the white stone columns, walls and floors and also helped to brighten the space. I always love visiting churches in Europe and this chapel so was beautiful, I cannot wait to see the Cathedral!

Now it is Friday night, and I must go soon to bed ... for tomorrow we set out early on an excursion to the land of La Mancha :)


1 comment: