Wednesday, September 8, 2010


Today - with no classes, I admittedly started the day a bit lazily. I slept in a little, ignoring my alarm and finally arose around 10. I then had to go out to campus to pick up my literature packet - which is intimidatingly large. I returned home, ate and then fellasleep while listening to music - a brief siesta. However, I awoke feeling rested and energized. Determined not to sleep away my time in Espana, I set out for a walk around some of the sights Isabel had pointed out on our walk. I started at the Templo de Debod. This temple is actually a real Egyptian temple that the country of Egypt gave to Spain as a gift! It was then moved brick by brick to it's current location in western Madrid. The inside of the temple is a museum/display the explains how each room of the templewas used and displays hieroglyphics etched on crumbling stones and walls. It was really neat - plus I patted myself on the back for reading the plaques and watching the educational video in Spanish with complete comprehension.

I continued my stroll down the street toward the Plaza de Espana in front of the Palacio Real (one of the royal palaces still used by the king, though he doesn't live in this one for security reasons). On the way there I passed the statue of Don Quijote and Sancho. In the plaza by the statue tents were set up around a big screen. There was a half basketball court and a display of several trophies along with a poster of the Spanish basketball team. I asked Elena that night and she said that they always set up screens in the outdoor plazas around town when a Spanish team is playing. I think that would be an awesome way to watch a game - very unifying.

Then I proceeded and arrive at the Plaza de Espana and palace. I checked our the tour hours for the palace and the cathedral next door and plan to do those tours on Friday I think ... I also was charmed by the adorable accordionist on the plaza. Another pat on the back: A older couple asked me about the Cathedral hours and I was able to understand and answer fluidly. The man still recognized an accent and asked me where I was from. However, he then told me that I spoke very good Castilian (the kind of Spanish spoken by most of Spain - the kind I learned in School) and I was very proud of myself. Another side note: I noticed that I had lost my map at the Temple and was navigating by signs and a sense of direction. I was happy to realize that I am learning my way around.

I continued my walk along the plaza to the Opera house and noticed a crowd gathered around the entrance. The doors were surrounded by a barrier of policemen. The crowd had cameras and appeared to be waiting for something to happen - so naturally I stayed and waited to. Minutes later four black official-looking cars appeared and some people (I didn't recognize and couldn't see very well) got out and went into the opera house. The crowd made ooo noises and there was a little clapping. I'm sure they were very important people and it was neat to see them arrive ... retrospectively I wish I'd asked who they were. I don't believe it was the royal family (because I know what they look like) but it might have been a high ranking government official or something. Elena says that there are important people going to the opera like that most every week. Still, was a neat happenstance and my timing was lucky. After that, it was near suppertime so I navigated to the metro and found my way home. In short, I was pleased with my adventure and tired when I got home. Classes again on Wednesday - but not until 2:00. TTFN.

2 comments:

  1. It's so great that you're getting around so comfortably now and that you're understanding everything! I know you're having a blast, and I'm loving reading your blog so keep it up. :) Love you!!

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see some of these exciting sights! Sounds like you took full advantage of your "day off" of classes! Siesta and all :) Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete