Saturday, September 4, 2010

El Parque del Buen Retiro


Who'd of thought that I'd get to walk through the park of a king! Today we toured el Parque del Buen Retiro that (until the end of the 19th century) was one of the King's private gardens. However, it has since been opened to the public - and it's a good thing too. The gardens so beautiful - and the park is HUGE (300 acres), way too much land for a single king to enjoy :)

The major sites of the park included a giant glass greenhouse, beautiful man-made lakes and waterfalls, impressive statues and fountains as well as a stunning rose garden. This is definitely going to be a place I return to - to study, take a nap or enjoy a ride in one of the adorable blue rowboats on the big central lake.


After our park tour, we returned home for lunch - yummy vegetable soup and croquettas with green beens. Now I'm
resting and writing a bit before hopefully meeting up with people to go shopping :) Guess that's all for now ... que tenga un buen dia.

PS> If you didn't read it, I also posted about my activities yesterday and my visit to the Prado museum (see below)

No comments:

Post a Comment