Thursday, September 23, 2010

Heading out to Catalonia

Setting out with some members of our group for our first "organized ourselves" weekend trip, and we're going to Barcelona. I am so excited. I have heard great things about the city and knew that this was somewhere I wanted to go while in Spain. Obviously haven't done anything there yet - jut thought I'd jump on and share my pre-excitement.

Our plane leaves tonight and we'll be in Barcelona until our Sunday evening flight home. Barcelona is a large city in the north east corner of Spain - in the Catalonia region. This region has recently been on the news for banning bull fighting. The Catalonia region actually views itself a bit apart from the rest of the country. The have their own traditions, their own culture, their own flag and even their own language - Catalan. From what I've read/heard Catalan is about as different from Castilian Spanish as Italian - and the people in Barcelona might even prefer to speak English above Castilian ... so we'll see how that goes.

Things I am looking to see from what I've read - the Picasso Museum, the Sagrada Familia (a church designed by Gaudi) & other Gaudi works, the Salvador Dali House ... ok, that's all I can name off the top of my head. Don't judge me, this is a working list :) Feel free to suggest places I should go in comments (I should have internet access at the hostel this weekend).

Also - one more piece of news before I go. I just found out that I am going to be in Barcelona during the weekend festival La Merce - I looked it up and I think my excitement for this weekend basically doubled. Been reading and looking at the activities. It sounds similar in a way to Noche en Blanco but also has specific events like human towers, a fire run (fire parade), traditional dances and "giant" people that walk around with costumes that make them appear larger than life. I found a VIDEO promo about the event. You can also find the WEBSITE for the event here if you want to read about the history and such. Anyway, it was such good news and I was so excited that I just had to share this with you. Can't wait to come back and tell you all about my weekend.

Missing you all! Will write again soon. Besos

3 comments:

  1. That video is cool. The event sounds like it'll be really interesting! You need to have Crema Catalana (It's essentially creme brulee but it's soooo delicious!). I get so excited when I go to a restaurant here that has it. I can't even imagine if I got to eat it there! :) Have fun! Love you!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besos a ti tambien, amigita! I cannot wait to see pictures of the Dali House! That was the highlight of my Spanish Culture class last year :)

    Hope you enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the video!! It looks like it's going to be really cool :D Take a lot of pictures if you can so I can live vicariously through you :P

    <3 Corley

    ReplyDelete