Monday, December 6, 2010

Mi Último Domingo

This is it ... my last 48 hours in Spain. Oh my. I remember when the count was over 100 days. What happened? Well, a lot i guess. According to the blogs anyway. But that doesn't mean that I can't make a little more happen before I come home. So ...

Today, my last Sunday, John and I decided to do one more Spanish mass, this time at La Iglesia de San Francisco, El Grande. Now this was a huge church. So I am assuming that El Grande refers to the largeness of the church itself and is not a comment on the largeness of San Francisco's waistline. This church is known for the large dome (something like the largest in ... Spain, maybe?). It was beautifully painted and the mass was nice.
After mass we had a few things on our agenda ... we were heading to the Prado to see a Renior exhibit. But first we wanted to have Chocolate con Churros and a Calamares Bocadillo. In that order. We went first so San Gines for a last taste of chocolate con churros. ¡Qué rico! Then we went to El Brillante, for "Madrid's best calamares bocadillo" (fried squid sandwich). I have come to adore these ... and am sad to leave them! This was a wonderful goodbye Madrid lunch! Then, we made our way to the Prado only to find the Renior exhibit sold out. Oh well. This weekend was a long, holiday weekend in Madrid and everything seemed a but more crowded. However, I have been so lucky to see TONS of artistic masterpieces today so missing this one wasn't too devastating. So, we continued with our other possible outing and went to see a movie. The movie Biutiful (with Javier Bardem) opened this past weekend and has had some Oscar talk around it. John had heard of it and stays up on the movies so I took his word for it and we went. Additionally, this movie would be our final Spanish test as it was entirely in Spanish with no subtitles. It was a very good movie and I found myself a few times just watching it and enjoying it ... like any other movie. That was incredible. However, then a line would come out too fast or with unfamilar words and I would be reminded that however much I have learned here ... my Spanish education is not yet over and I know I will continue with it when I return :) Anyway, I recommend the movie. It's hard at some points and confusing at others but I enjoyed it very much. To my fellow students of Spanish I encourage you to watch it while looking at the subtitles as little as possible :) After the movie I said goodbye to John (until we both return to Stetson) and went back home for supper and bed. One day left! ¡¡¡No puedo crearlo!!!

1 comment: