Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas decorations, chocolate-covered pretzles, Love Actually (and, oh yeah, PACKING)

This is it. The last day. The last ... oh! In about 24 hours I will be hugging my mom and dad in the Atlanta airport (I hope) ... oh my!

Before I begin, an update on the flight of my Marist companions: Two of them successfully took their original flight on Sunday and arrived home. The others were disappointed at not getting home but their sadness was playcated by a free dinner, free hotel room last night and 600 euros in cash ($800). They left on a flight Madrid-London this morning and at 7 pm tonight took off on a London-New York flight. They are now on their way home (a little more than a day later) but I am glad they are home. However, please everyone hope that I don't encounter that delay. PLEASE!

Ok, now to today ... Elena and I enjoyed sleeping in (as we both do) and rose around 11:30. We both made it to the couch (under blankets again) and watched one of my most favorite Christmas movies: Love Actually. I had to do a tiny bit of translating (there is one scene where an entire conversation is written in English on these big poster cards) but it went well ... and she liked it :) After this we siesta-ed (a great thing for my last day in Spain I think) and then we began decorating. We put up sparkly things on the doors. We put out red decorations on the tables. We hing the light-up star in the window. But, out work of art for the day was the tree! Elena bought a real tree last year and it died and shed needles everywhere. So she is thinking about buying a fake tree in the future. So, Elena's brother had brought her some branchy branches from teh country to make a tree ... which we did! The tree consists of two natural branches, and a big single branch in the back painted gold and accented with gold glitter. We did all the painting and glittering ourselves (Elena prefers handmade decorations to store-bought ones). I still have glitter all over my clothes, hands (and face, according to Elena). The tree came out beautifully though. I wrapped some of the branches with tiny red tinsel and we decorated it with only red and gold ornaments. Oh it is so pretty!!! I am trying to take some pictures that do it justice, but I won'd be able to put them up until I get home to a computer (thanks to my dead laptop). I love the decorated house though and it makes me sad to leave it ... but at least I could help make it cheerful for the holidays since I have to leave Elena here by herself. I am going to really miss her, but we have promised to keep in touch - and we are facebook friends so that helps (one of the many benefits of having a younger señora).

I also taught Elena to make chocolate covered pretzles today! It brought me back to memories of sitting in our dorm room last year with wax paper covering our tiny sofa and making them with my girls. Miss you guys and see you soon!!! :) Elena loved it and we now have two papers full, drying in the kitchen. What a wonderful Christmassy day! And the perfect way to spend my last day with Elena, who has made my experience here wonderful!!!

Now, as I sit here, I am a few hours away from bed. (After a supper of tortilla española I think :D ). Then tomorrow morning I rise early to allow extra, extra time for the metro to the airport ... my last metro. My last flight out of Madrid. My flight home. I leave at 11:30 and am Atlanta bound where my parents will be waiting for me. I cannot wait to see you guys!! I have missed you TONS but I have had an unbelievable, unforgettable semester. Thank you so much. And thanks to my loyal readers. I'll see ou guys soon too :)

For now, signing out for the last time from Spain, yours truly, the Kid in (but about to leave) Madrid! ... Besos a todos. Hasta ahora :)

1 comment: