Saturday, November 27, 2010

La luces de la Navidad

Friday, I had a productive work day. After finishing classes I only have exams to study for and papers to write. And Friday, I finished a good chunk of my paper-writing! My Lit paper (7 pages) and my History paper (11 pages) are completly finished and ready to print :) I am so happy to have things completed. Especially that history paper - which was a beast to write. I've only got one more paper (art) and some studying to complete now. So after a productive day of paper writing I met some of our group down in Sol because tonight was the first night that they would be illuminating the Christmas lights all over Madrid. We grabbed a coffe (Starbucks because only American chains give coffee 'to-go') and watched the lights light up at 6:00. There is a big tree in Sol (one of several throughout the city I think) and there are different lights down every street. In Plaza Mayro there are circles of lights hung across the entire plaza forming a magical kind of floating roof. And best of all there is a Christmas shopping village with lots of little shops selling Christmas things! There's even a carosal in the corner (that I was tempted to ride before realizing that the passengers were primairly 4-year-olds and learning that the price for one ride was 3 euroes) So I refrained from this childhood fun and simply relished in the beauty of the lights. After this we went to a cafe and shared in a round of drinks before dinner (tinto de verano for me ... a mixture of red wine and lemon Fanta, yum!). After this Lindsay and I shared a plate of mini sandwiches for dinner because we were staying out in the center to meet with Elia (my intercambio frient). With dinner I had the other common mix (half beer, half lemon fanta ... the spainards sure to love their lemon fanta!). After dinner we walked around and saw more lights. My favorite thing was probably the lights at the Corte Ingles (the big Spanish department store). One one side the building was completely covered with snowflakes that lit up with music as it played. AND ... on the other side there was a whole display of figurined mounted on the large awning. These figures were talking landmarks and children from around the world. The display is called "Cortylandia" and the characters talk to each other about Christmas traditions around the world in a cute way. It was adorable and we watched the display for a while ... until we had to go meet Elia. We met up with her and went walking around a bit to see the lights. Then we went to a warm cafe for a round of cañas (small beers) and some wonderful conversation. It was great to see her again on this our last weekend ... She goes on break on Friday so we're planning on hanging out a lot this weekend since it will be the last we see of each other for a while (until she comes to the US or I come back here ... though we are planning to skype!). It was a nice night of wonderful conversation. Lindsay and I were doing some semester reflection and realizing mow much we are going to miss Madrid (even though we are both really looking forward to going home to see our much-missed families and boyfriends). I love Madrid and I loved seeing her alight with the beautiful Christmas lights that shone about the city.

Special thanks to Lindsay for these photos! (which I stole off her Facebook ... my photos will not be put up until my return due to the condition of my computer). Check out her blog and her version of these events if you'd like :)

1 comment:

  1. The Christmas lights look beautiful! I'm glad your friends could meet - Lindsey and Bobbie Joe. I bet you had a great night. Tell them both "HI" for me. I hope to see them both again someday!

    ReplyDelete