Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My New Spanish Friend (and pooping in the Nativity)

I have exciting news. I'm finally making friends with someone who's not from the states. A few weeks ago I received an email from Isabel with a list of people who wanted to practice a "language intercambio (English/Spanish language practice). This sounded great so Ilooked down the list and found Elia. She is 24 yeard old and she is studying journalism. She's in her second year at Carlos III (but the 4th year of her program, she studied 3 years in Segovia). She also loves to read and she is really involved with theatre at her school. Sound familiar? I thought so :)So I emailer her about a month ago and she said that she wouldn't be back in Madrid until the end of September. Her family lives in Asturias (the north of Spain) and she was there during the summer holiday. So - about a week ago, she returned to Madrid but she had exams and theatre rehearsal her first few days in town so we couldn't meet up ... until Sunday night!

We met in Sol Sunday night. On the metro there I was feeling a little drained and it was rainy, but I pushed through cause I knew this would be really cool. We met and she is super cute. She was a tiny bit late, so I was standing at the meeting place when she arrived. She ran up to me and give me a big hug plus the usual kiss, kiss (typical Spanish greeting). Then we set off to get a coffee.

We walked to the area around the Opera house and found a cute cafe. We sat and talked for two hours (all in Spanish) and it was so much fun. I told her about American holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. We discussed the popularity of football and "futbol" in our two countries. We talked about gay marriage policies in both countries. She expressed her opposition to bullfighting as she doesn't think that "tradition" should justify killing animals. We talked about the theatre we have both done. We talked about our families. Also, she told me about Asturias. She said it rains a lot there and that it is very green. She also said that theyare known for their cider and tried to explain a special was that it was served. After a while, I understood that she was explaining a high pour (with the bottle above ones head and the glass below one's waist. It sounded cool. She sent me a VIDEO later on facebook and I was really impressed (and am now sharing it with you). She said that the high pour is traditional and the cider is always served that way cause it "excites the bubbles." And, we discussed the intensity of "going out at night as a Spaniard" and I promised her that I could make it out one night for a true all-nighter with her :)

I left Sunday feeling like we'd really clicked and was excited to meet again, which we did on Tuesday night. This time we sat outside in Plaza Mayor and held our conversation in English. (I think we'll switch like this so we can both practice). This time we talked about Christmas traditions in Spain and the US. When I mentioned all the lights and decorations, she said, "Yeah, like in the movies" (a reminder of how much our media represents us). She said that her mom loves to decorate with lights too. Her dad usually says, "This isn't Christmas, it's Las Vegas." We talked about other decorations and it took forever for me to explain what garland was (I couldn't figure our the Spanish word for branches for the longest time).

But, probably the funniest thing that came out of our conversation was when we talked about the Nativity Scene. I told her that one is usually part of our decorations and she said it is popular in Spain too. AND, she said, along with the regulars Mary, Jesus, Joesph ... they also have a guy pooping in the back of the stable - wait, What?? That's right pooping. She said that this added figure began as tradition in Catalonia but it has now spread all across Spain. I didn't know what to say. This seemed like a complete joke but I believed her. She said they sell the figurines in the plazas and stuff during the holidays. She said I might be leaving too early but there's a chance that I'll be able to see one of these little guys. Upon returning home I did some further research. Apparently pooping has something to do with symbolizing fertility and growth - I think that it symbolizes th Catalonias enjoy a good laugh. I found another tradition about a Christmas log that poops out presents when the children hit it with sticks. Here are the articles I found:

The Strange Catalan Obsession with Poop
Upon further search I found novelty "Caganers" including the Queen, Obama and the Pope.

After that strange detour in the
conversation, we talked about Spanish dating traditions and when people usually get married. She said it seems like people get married earlier in America. In Spain, they wait to get married until they are ready to settle down. As soon as they are married they begin to have a family. However, they are also more likely to live together before they are married.

We also discussed and recommended books for each other. She recently read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nighttime" and loved it. (This was one of your
book club recommendations Mom, we should read it). She said that she even read it in English because the book is written "by a character" with autism so the reading level is simpler. She suggested and I could do the same by reading "El nino con el pijama de rayas." (Both she and Elena have recommended this story). It is about a boy in the Holocaust - but it is also "written by the boy" so the level of Spanish would be easier. I might check out a local bookstore and pick it up before I go :)


After this it was about time to head home for supper. However, before leaving, I got to meet Elia's parents. They are here in Madrid for a few days to visit her at school. They were very nice and it was fun to meet her family. They even invited me to come visit their home in Asturias if I can manage it - I'll really try to go if I can :)

Anyway, that is my exciting news about my new exciting friend. I might check in again before I go - but I leave for Morocco on Friday ... so when I return I have lots of exciting things to tell you! Bbbbbsssssssssss (aka Besos)

2 comments:

  1. Concerning "El nino con el pijama de rayas" - a) it makes me happy that I recognized it without you translating it into English for me, and b) it's also a movie, in case you read the book and are looking for a cinematic closure experience, it's The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (I know you know what it means, but just so you get the prepositions right, he's in them in English, not with them). And it was...not something you walk away from smiling. I don't know how it compares to the book, but if nothing else, it will cause you to continue to think about it after it's over - so even though I said it might bring closure...it really just opens up the door to more discussion and consideration.

    Anyway, thought you'd like to know :)

    I'm going to update tomorrow (hopefully!) about HFAN - we had a great week but we missed you!

    Hope you're having fun in Morocco - you should wave to Lee Anna and Sawyer, now that you're on the same continent I bet they can see you. :)

    Miss you, Suzanne!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough, before talking with Elia, Elena had already recommended this movie to me - with the same impressions. I intend to both read and watch this story sometime.

    Look forward to your updates :)

    (also Hi Lee Anna and Sawyer!!)

    ReplyDelete