Sunday, August 22, 2010

T-minus: 1 week and counting

One week. Seven days. 10,080 minutes. As unreal as it seems to me, in one week I will be going to bed after my first day in Spain. As I admit this, my chest tightens with an excitement tinged by nerves. There is still so much unknown. But in the unknown exists a sense of mystery and surprise. I cannot wait for Spain to surprise me. And though details are unknown, I know that this trip will be amazing: as learning opportunity to improve my language skills and widen my cultural perspective by leaving my familiar life back home.

Also, my nerves are calmed by the enormous amount of support I have behind me. To my family: thanks for your constant encouragement. From my first interests in study abroad, you have been there. You instilled a love of travel in me and now have blessed me with an opportunity to grow this love on my own. Thanks for making sure I didn't miss it :)

To my friends: you are wonderful. Thanks for reminding me that I won't be forgotten while I am gone. Have an awesome semester and shoot me an update when you can. Can't wait to swap stories and pictures when I get back.

To Patrick: a bushel and a peck,
baby. Thanks for knowing how much this opportunity means to me and pushing me to do it. Thanks for the mementos - they'll help. Know I'll miss you - but I promise to make it worth it (almost). When I get back I'll have so many stories that they'll take another three months to tell. Xoxo.

I have been planning to spend a semester abroad since I entered Stetson. Mentally, I have been preparing for this trip for past year. This summer has been filled with more immediate preparations: submitting applications, updating my passport, acquiring a visa. This week, I pack my suitcase for the final time. In some ways, this journey is a long time coming. At the same time, I cannot believe that my departure is so near. Admittedly, mixed feelings overwhelm me. I will miss everyone at home tremendously. But I promise that I will take full advantage of everything that this semester abroad offers me. And I promise to keep you all updated on my adventures via this site. I'll be posting at least once a week and plan to include stories and pictures. You can follow me here on my Spanish journey and it'll almost be like you're here with me. My flight is scheduled to leave the Atlanta airport Saturday evening and arrive in Madrid on the morning of August 29th. Voy a Madrid y lo voy a desfrutar!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Trails! :) So glad I can follow you here, Suzanne. I'm very much looking forward to the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited! I can't wait to hear all about it!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete