Friday, August 27, 2010

Suzanne vs the Suitcase

Innnnnnn this corner, weighing a hefty 50 lbs, the crusher of toes and the strainer of backs, Red "the Chubby" Suitcase! Annnnnnd innnnnnn this corner, the chaaaaaallenger - me.

With Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" playing for inspiration, I began the
arduous task of packing for the final time. Today alone, I've emptied and refilled my suitcase three times. It takes a lot of work to fit three months into a single suitcase. Then there's the weight. Every time I repack (removing the items deemed unnecessary and adding new necessities) it must be re-weighed. The airline has a strict 50 pound guideline for checked baggage - a guideline my suitcase persistently resists. However, though I've had reading of 51 and 50.5 ... I have also had a 49 and a even 46 at one weigh.

At this late hour, I am completing the "final" check of packing lists - hoping to ensure that no necessary item misses out on a trip to Spain. Hopefully the final weight will round out at an even 50 pounds or less ... otherwise I'll be making a scene pulling items at check-in tomorrow to avoid paying for extra poundage.

I can't believe I'm leaving tomorrow. The mix of emotions is kind of confusing right now ... I think excitement is at the top but I am also definitely nervous and sad about leaving people I love behind. I wish I could put you all in my suitcase ... but sadly that would probably put me over the 50 lbs ;)

I'll try to check in again from the airport tomorrow. Otherwise ... I'll write to you from Spain!

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne!
    I'm so excited for you! And I love that you were listening to Don't Stop Me Now - that song has two connotations for me: 1) You, because you introduced me to it; and 2) Trips! Because you introduced me to it when I was going on a road trip! So it's perfect. And what can I say? I guess it's a sign you're going to have an amazing trip. How else could that be interpreted?
    We miss you already!
    -Claire (and the girls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Te deseo la mejor de las suertes. Sabes que estoy muy orgullosa de ti. Siempre me siento muy orgullosa cuando uno de mis estudiantes decide viajar. Te quiero mucho.

    ReplyDelete